Saturday 5 May 2012

This weeks project was ''create a sculptural document/chronicle/account/record of new kinds of measurements of your body.''

As in previous projects I found it useful to use a mind map to kick start the process of trying to find new ways to measure the body.


I started by measuring the distance I walked around college last Monday for one hour.  As we were not to use conventional means to measure I decided to use thread so I laid it everywhere I walked in that hour.   When it came to collecting it people had dispersed it further got caught up in it and as a result it was an entwined mass  but it made me think about the space that my feet had occupied during that time.    I had taken 1100 steps and I wondered how they would look if they were displayed in a mass like the thread.   As a result I decided to use paper to create a visual form to show this.   I made cut outs of my footprint and cut into each one further following the curve of the foot reminding me of topographic maps.

                            

I threaded each foot print onto string and made a graph out of them to measure the amount of space my footprints covered in 1100 steps.   







   







At this stage I started to think about my stride and how because of my height I take more steps than a taller person to cover the same distance.   Brian in painting helped in the next experiment to try and measure my steps in relation to his.




I also measured my height in relation to my own feet and instead of being the imperial  4'11'' I am now 6 and 3/4 feet (helen's), sounds so much taller.



No comments:

Post a Comment