Friday 14 October 2011


As I was looking at the road markings the arrows, the zig zag lines,broken lines and continuous lines, all these things reminded me of patterns and stitches. So I started to play with these lines. Keeping in mind that the project is 'movement'  how do I make these patterns move. I started to look at the Op Art period and how Bridget Riley's work says everything I wanted to say about implied movement.   Her work is so exciting it jumps off the page, makes you dizzy.  Your head knows this is 2d and its not moving, but yet your eyes tell you something different. Her work with squares, lines and circles all remind me of the road markings and the patterns I see on my journey every day.  To try to understand her work and how the eye sees movement, I'm reading Eye and brain.                                                                                                                                                                     
After looking at Bridget Riley's work I've returned to the photos I took on the motorway and I have taken a very simple pattern form one of the bridge rails.   So how do I make this pattern move.


After drawing various versions of the pattern I decided to make cut outs and scatter them randomly on a page to see what effect this had. I also used bigger cut outs and put them across the studio floor in order to see the effect of movement in this way.

     
Wanting to make this pattern more 3d I layered the cut outs in black and white to see what this would do to it.

   Also made small  paper models of the pattern and I used the white of the paper with two other colours to make the pattern more 3d.










No comments:

Post a Comment