Wednesday 19 October 2011

Looking at bridge pattern in 3d.  After the seminar on 3d, I discovered there were many ways I could work in three dimension . The 1st structure I made was with rolled up newspaper, pva glue and tissue paper. I found that I was very drawn to the idea of using materials in a way that they were not necessarily designed for.   At this stage  I was looking at the work of Tim Hawkinson. He uses a huge variety of materials in many different ways, from human hair to cardboard, from spray foam to toothpaste tubes to finger nail clippings.






 Tim Hawkinson sculpture

   As a result of seeing how he worked, I decided to use tin foil to interpret the pattern in the bridge structure of the motorway.     I wanted to make my pattern move, so I knit it and and hung it as a mobile. 

Other reasons for knitting  were that the intertwining stitches remind me of the way the roads  twist and turn and how they intersect with each other and the motorway.   Also I associate pattern with a knitting tradition, and it was something that I watched my Mother and Grandmother doing as a child.
 Even though the tin foil is stiff and solid, the act of knitting it loosened it and each of the sections twist and turn in their own right.
 
Wanting to explore this further,  I looked at other materials I could knit with, using wire and lagging for central heating pipes.   I was also looking at Artists who used knitting in their work.



    
       

 Susie Mac Murray is one Artist who used an knitting element in her work and this piece is knitted with human hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment