Thursday 3 November 2011



  
Decided to break my pattern down.   I'm looking at one component, the single stitch.   By doing this I hope to make the stitch much bigger but still move them and link them together.   I started by making them with wire, but I realized if they were solid, these structures wouldn't link together.




                         




I then tried them in a salt dough form but the result was the same.   However I decided that these stitches had to move, so I photographed them and made a little movie with them.





 After looking at the structure of the stitch again I discovered that they needed to be arched to link.   I made a template in fimo, made a silicone mould and cast them in wax.   This was more successful and they move and link together very well.



                                                       


Contextually as well as looking at artists who use knitting elements in their work, I have been looking at the work of Andy Goldsworthy.






Another material I looked at knitting with was  plastic tubing.  After knitting a small section 7m in length, I put some water with food colouring into the tubing, attached drinking straws to either end and the result is that the liquid with the air bubbles move around, reminding me of the traffic flow on the motorway.  So I'm back where I started.



























No comments:

Post a Comment