Tuesday 31 January 2012

End of painting elective, 28th January, 2012.

Can hardly believe our two week painting elective is over and gone.   To-day sees our worked marked and assessed and we move on to our next elective.   My next undertaking is print and I can't wait especially after having had a peek at the work that has just been done.   However first things first.   Last time  I blogged we were doing our weekend project for paint and I did promise to post my version of the 'Queen' however it turned out.    Well not wanting to break a promise I'll do so.   Its not finished, I never touched her crown and I didn't get to finish her lower face and neck.   Some of us felt that we needed more than the weekend to complete it.   I didn't spend all weekend on it, but I did spend a considerable amount of time working on it over two days.  

This is the result.   The first one is mine and the one below is a copy of Lucien Freud's.   I had great fun doing this, it was a project I really enjoyed.   I was pleased with my effort because I have never done anything like this before.


Below is a better photograph of the two side by side.



During the last week we did a lot of work painting our installations using tone.   We mixed our own black or dark tone and added two others with white.   We also used brushes something I found hard because I was much more comfortable using card or the palette knife, but there is nothing like a challenge.
This is what happened.






On our last day painting we also used warm tones.   I was working with blues so I added orange to warm up my tones.    This was added to the tone I had created first and I added white to make two other warm tones.
Below is the result.


The final exercise we did was one in mark making and before we knew it our elective was over.    The two weeks flew, they were intense and most of us were very tired going home on the Friday.   I have to say, tired and all that I was, I will look back on the Painting Elective as being most enjoyable and hope my other two selections are as satisfying.   So thank you Grainne and Sylvia.



No comments:

Post a Comment