Thursday 9 February 2012

Thursday 9th Feb, 2012.



Our last day in print, its all over after to-day and again I can hardly believe our two weeks are gone.   On our last day we were working on our mini one day project 'clutter'.   We had to take four photos of what we perceived clutter to be.   I picked a bookshelf from home.





These are the images I worked from.   I decided to do a dry point etching because I hadn't done one yet in the elective.  I also used monoprint for some of the background.   


This is the first print I did,  Des suggested that I make the marks stronger to give depth.   He made an example one (making it look so easy)  in minutes and using mono and etching together he got a lovely effect.   I made my etching stronger and this is what happened.




 

 As the day went on I thought that I might have overdone it on making the marks stronger and in doing so it seemed to have thrown the balance of the etching as well.  So I decided that I would crop the etching and use the part I liked best, a section that I thought I could salvage.


Everything about this was much much better, I liked the format, the composition, and the marks.   I felt that this still conveyed clutter but on a smaller scale.   I also like the way your eye is drawn in a zig-zag  fashion from the top books across to the open book and down to the right.


So thats it,  my print elective is over and all that remains is for us to do is to put our work together for assessment.   Its been a hectic couple of weeks, got loads done and I'm whacked, but its been great and I really enjoyed it.   Print has given me the best excuse to close my kitchen for the weekend because for the first time in their lives my children don't want me to make sambos, bake or butter bread for them.  Why, my lovely  dirty hands.   Ah this is the life, thanks Des and Fiona.

No comments:

Post a Comment